Monday, September 22, 2008

Debate week

This week is debate week. If you weren't aware, Oxford is the location for the first presidential debate (this Friday)! I'm excited, because Madison has Friday off, and his last 2 classes on Thursday are canceled! Oxford is going to be so insanely packed. It's going to be fun to see Oxford on the news and such! It's also Madison's birthday this weekend! I still don't really know what to get him...boys can be so difficult to shop for!
Security is already in full force here - roads are closed all around the Ford Center (where the debate will be held). I believe that it has been a month now that they have had the grounds of the Ford Center completely blocked and guarded 24/7. One of Madison's friend's girlfriend was jogging by in exercise clothes and the guards shouted at her and made her walk as she passed the Ford Center on the sidewalk outside the fenced area instead of jog...it's pretty intense!
The game was really fun this weekend - we were able to spend some time with Jason's family, which was fun. (Jason & Danica are our good friends here in Oxford). Jason's family comes to every football game. Their 2 daughters were unable to come, so we got to sit in their seats and go out to dinner. It was so much fun, we had a great weekend. Even though Ole Miss lost, it was an exciting game...I usually get incredibly bored, but the whole time, the score was very close. They played Vanderbilt.
I got another teaching opportunity which I am incredibly excited about. I had "leads" on it for a long time, and it has finally played out. On Fridays, I am going to be coaching a chamber group at a private classical school here in Oxford. I am super excited about this, and I hope to get them out performing and such, as they have expressed interest in doing so. I absolutely love chamber music, it's probably my favorite all around, performing, teaching, etc. It will be good experience, and I am so excited about it! One of the girls drives to Memphis for violin lessons, so I am thinking maybe I can recruit some students out of the deal as well.
I still absolutely love teaching. All my students are so eager to learn, and I am encouraged about how they're all doing. 2 of my students have never played before, and I had never started a student from scratch. One is 7, one is 15, so it has been really fun to see how that has been playing out!
Madison is still enjoying law school -- it's a lot of work! I miss this summer when we could pop in Seinfeld or the Office and have some down time in the evenings, but I have been making jewelry and doing other projects to keep myself busy. It's just an adjustment! I'm so thankful he is right where he needs to be, school wise...he comes home excited about everything, and loves to tell me about his homework and such -- it's very encouraging and makes me happy that he is enjoying it. He obviously gets tired out by Friday and needs the weekends, but he really does like law school a lot.
Well, I better get back to work!
Liz

No comments:

Graduation from Wheaton College

Graduation from Wheaton College

Us at an Ole Miss game

Us at an Ole Miss game

Our Wedding

Our Wedding

Madison's family

My family


Click below to visit my cooking blog:

Liz’s Cooking Blog

Followers