Friday, November 14, 2008

It's not going to be long before the end of the semester!

I cannot believe how fast this semester went in a way. It seems like I was just dropping Madison off in the pouring rain on his first day of orientation. That was one hilarious, crazy day. We kind of got the days mixed up...needless to say, we ended up having to run there so fast -- we made it JUST in time and people were still milling around, but it was scary! We definitely learned our lesson and haven't missed any more things. I was picturing all the professors looking at the one nametag left...my husband's name...but he said about half were left still. Phew!

Madison is starting to get a lot busier with school. Probably the reason you won't be seeing him much until Christmas break in less you go to church with us or run into us somewhere. We will be going to the game tomorrow (unless it is pouring rain - it has been dreary here a lot lately - it reminds me of Michigan this time a year minus the snow). But most social activities will be pretty limited until the end of the semester.

Lessons are picking up, I have had 3 people interested in lessons in the last week and 2 have confirmed that they want to start lessons which is exciting! That would mean 10 students. I'm getting there! I'd be happy with 20 or so. Especially since the classical school job pays per kid per week. Financially, it's like having 4 more students a week. The kids at the classical school I teach are performing for the first time next Wed. morning at 8 am...woo hoo. haha. I am not a morning person, so we'll see how that goes. (and it's a 15-20 min drive and I obviously have to get there at least 15 minutes before 8...it's going to be an early morning!)

Thanksgiving is coming up so fast!!! I love Thanksgiving...it's going to be a blast. My family hasn't been to Mississippi before. My dad went to Jackson once for a business trip, but spent all time at either the Drury Inn or at the Nissan plant, so that doesn't exactly count. I'm really excited to show them where I live. I think I will be less homesick and unsettled when they know where I live and I "connect" those two worlds together. It's just weird to be somewhere that my family has never been - it's kind of an unsettling feeling. It will be interesting to see what they think of Oxford. I think they'll like it. It's a fun town. I'm going to have a difficult time deciding on what restaurants to take them! There are a lot of good ones here in Oxford. This is definitely the longest time I have ever gone without seeing my dad - and close to the longest time I've gone without seeing my sister & brother in law. It's hard being all spread out. I mapquested it out of curiosity and I'm 537 miles from my dad's place in Normal, and 630 miles from his place in Naperville. Bekah & Matt are 714 miles from us (11.5 hrs) and 863 miles (almost 14 hrs) from dad. So we're all very spread out. I also can't wait to have Thanksgiving food. My favorite meal of the year. I will take lots of pictures. :)

The recipe of the day doesn't have a picture because the batteries were dead in the camera. But the recipe was very yummy! (I made it w/out mushrooms...it was good! Madison & I are babies...)
Madison & I are kind of picky. We hate raisins, olives, & mushrooms...he doesn't like lettuce on his sandwich, tomatoes or onions. I still put onions in stuff (shh!) ;-)

Spinach & Mushroom Manicotti
1 box (8 oz) Manicotti
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 oz. mushrooms, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bag (6 oz) FRESH spinach - it makes a huge difference (one time I didn't have fresh spinach, just the frozen kind and it was yucky - but then again, I'm picky)
2 eggs
1 container (15 oz) lowfat ricotta cheese
1/3 cup chopped basil leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 jar Italian Baking Sauce or Marinara Sauce
1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese (I use the part skim shredded Italian Blend cheese)

Preheat oven to 350*F.
Cook Manicotti 7 minutes, drain and rinse in cool water. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and garlic; saute 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spinach and continue cooking for 5 mins. (If you're not doing the mushrooms, add the spinach where they say to add the mushrooms and skip this step). Set aside to cool.
Beat eggs lightly in medium mixing bowl. Stir in ricotta, basil and salt. Stir in mushroom/spinach mixture.
Spread 3/4 cup Italian Baking Sauce/Marinara sauce over borrom of 13x9-inch baking dish. Fill Manicotti with mushroom/spinach mixture; place in dish. (I find it easiest to cheat and split the shells about halfway and paste it back together) - you can't tell after it's baked. Pour remaining sauce evenly over filled shells, sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, continue baking 5-10 mins until cheese is melted. Makes 6 servings.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok even though i don't cook, i love your recipes of the day. you are so cute! and i miss how excited you always get about cooking things :)

Graduation from Wheaton College

Graduation from Wheaton College

Us at an Ole Miss game

Us at an Ole Miss game

Our Wedding

Our Wedding

Madison's family

My family


Click below to visit my cooking blog:

Liz’s Cooking Blog

Followers