Thursday, January 15, 2009

The beginning of a new semester

Well, it has all started! I cannot believe it's already almost the end of the week now! This week has really flown by. Last weekend, Tully & Margaret came up and we had a wonderful time with them. We absolutely love having visitors, and we had so much fun spending lots of quality time with them before our crazy week began. One morning, I made my dad's recipe for Blueberry Muffins. Although the topping was a little too sweet because I forgot to add the cinnamon, they were really good if I may say so. You can find the recipe at the end of today's post.

Madison's classes are going well. He really enjoys law school. It's definitely his niche. I'm so proud of him for completing a successful semester, and I think we both felt like our break was a sufficient amount of time and rest before we headed back at the beginning of the week.

I started 3 new students this week, and 1 next week! Well, I start one at 4pm today which makes for the 3rd. I have an adorable 3 year old student named Charlie Mac who is very well behaved. He is going to be such a fun little student to have. He's very excited to play the "bio-win". Then, there's Broch who is a 21 year old viola student. Then I start Meagan, age 14 at 4pm today. Now my students range in ages from 3-61! I start a new student in her early 30's next week. She's a mom, and has been playing piano for 22 years. She has always wanted to play the violin, so she found me and decided to pick it up.

Tomorrow I start the new semester with the Regents Chamber Orchestra. I'm looking forward to some rep with them that I have found, I think they will enjoy it. I had to order a new baton, my old one was snapped in one of the boxes from moving. It is so much fun to work with those kids. They have so much energy and love playing in the orchestra, which is exciting. We're going to play for the Veterans' home later this semester. Apparently it's a pretty large one.

Well, I'm going to take a power nap before I teach my last 3 lessons of the day. I had 2 this morning, then 3 later on, then I prepare my music for tomorrow at Regents. Not too bad of a day :-)

Here's the muffin recipe:

Steve's Blueberry Muffins
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup white sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 TBS of finely grated lemon peel
1 egg
1 cup fresh blueberries

Crumble:
½ cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup butter, cubed
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin tins with Crisco or line with muffin liners. Combine 1 ½ cups flour, ¾ cup sugar, salt, lemon peel, and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture. Mix the crumble ingredients with a fork before sprinkling on top of muffin mixture. Bake for 20-25 mins. Yield: 12 muffins

No comments:

Graduation from Wheaton College

Graduation from Wheaton College

Us at an Ole Miss game

Us at an Ole Miss game

Our Wedding

Our Wedding

Madison's family

My family


Click below to visit my cooking blog:

Liz’s Cooking Blog

Followers