Monday, March 23, 2009

Pad Thai




Even if you're not incredibly adventurous, you really should try this pad thai. It is SO good! I love it. I make it every so often. This is day 1 of our diet. I planned all of our meals out of my diet cookbooks (I have low fat cookbooks, etc.). This one is from my sister. It is really good and under 300 calories per serving. Even Madison loved it! I highly recommend it.
A hint: do all prep work before you cook everything in your wok or skillet...otherwise you will be stressed, trying to do stuff while things are cooking. Get lots of bowls out and prep everything ahead of time and place in the different bowls. I have little silicone prep bowls, but even cereal or small mixing bowls work well.

All these ingredients were at Kroger - I found most ingredients at Dominick's and Whole Foods when I lived in Wheaton. I know Wal Mart wouldn't have everything, but just about any grocery store will. It may sound gross, but I promise it is good :-)

Yield: 4 servings
----
2 quarts water
3/4 lb. mung bean sprouts
6 oz Rice noodles
----
Sauce:

3 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons katsup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce or fish sauce (I use soy sauce...)
----
3 tablespoons Peanut oil or vegetable oil
3-4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed (or 2 teaspoons minced garlic)
1 tablespoon fresh chile (I used a jalepeno pepper) or 1 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 cups carrots; grated
(I use a food processor grater, but you can grate w/ a cheese grater)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten with a pinch of s
alt
2/3 cup peanuts, chopped
6-8 scallions; chopped (about 1 cup)
In a covered pot, bring the water to a rolling boil.  Blanch the mung bean sprouts by placing them
in a strainer or small colander and
dipping it into the boiling water for 30 seconds.
Set aside to drain
well. When the water returns to a boil, stir in the rice noodles and cook for 3 to 5 minutes,
until tender but firm. These noodles stick easily, so stir often and put salt in the pot.
Drain the cooked
noodles, rinse them under cool water, and set them aside to drain.
Prepare the remaining ingredients and have them near at hand before
you begin to stir-fry.
Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet. Add
the garlic and chile, swirl them in the oil for a moment, and stir in
the grated carrots. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Push the carrots to the
sides to make a hollow in the center. Pour the
beaten eggs into the
center and quickly scramble them. When the eggs have just set, pour in the sauce mixture
and stir everything together. Add the drained
rice noodles and mung sprouts, and toss to distribute evenly.
Stir in
the peanuts and scallions, and serve at once. Enjoy!!

Grating the carrots
Patting the carrots dry:


Adding garlic & chile with oil in wok



Boiling the noodles:

Adding everything to the wok:

1 comment:

Joy said...

I'll have to try this recipe. How's the job hunt going? Do you have pics of your new place? I miss you- I keep trying to find a time to call and things keep getting in the way. Know that I love you and miss hanging out :)

Graduation from Wheaton College

Graduation from Wheaton College

Us at an Ole Miss game

Us at an Ole Miss game

Our Wedding

Our Wedding

Madison's family

My family


Click below to visit my cooking blog:

Liz’s Cooking Blog

Followers