Saturday, October 18, 2008

As I have written before, it has been really difficult to break in with the musicians in a new place. People knew the violin & viola teacher as the only one that was here before I got here. It's difficult to make a name for yourself somewhere new, and I finally feel like I'm doing so!
I have now gotten 1 student from 7 different sources! I was telling my grandma, and she was agreeing with me, how much better this is than getting 7 students from one source. That means, most likely, more will come along from all those connections I now have. I keep on forgetting I really have only been here since the first of July, and we traveled and such quite a bit at first. It just takes time. I am incredibly encouraged --- I have gotten two students this week! I know that it may be another lull for a while, but the fact that the students keep on coming slowly but surely is unbelievably encouraging.

I'm playing a gig at Ole Miss - it's a vocal piece, On Wenlock's Edge by Vaughan Williams. I am playing with all professors and one grad student, so I was super nervous. (and the counting is somewhat hard...and that's my weakness). The only other "violist" in town is the man who is the only other private violin/viola teacher in town (he's a violinist, but plays viola for gigs), but he couldn't do it so I got the gig! I practiced and I felt so good about it! It went really well, and everyone was very friendly and encouraging. The cello prof was so sweet to me and she gave my number to a family who just moved here from Dallas. Their daughter is 9 and is a Suzuki student. I am very excited, because up to this point, I have only had 1 little girl and all boys...although all the boys are fun and sweet, I have to say that I wanted at least 2 or 3 girl students! So now I have 3! A 5 year old, 7 year old, and 9 year old. :-) I feel like I'm finally "in" if that makes sense, and it is such a good feeling.
I have another gig in November for a grad student's recital, so not only is it some more income, but it's a great opportunity to network and make more friends.

I've been struggling lately with a lot, especially thinking I'd never "break through" and be "one of the teachers in town", but I feel like it is finally happening. Yay! My hard work that seemed like it was for nothing is paying off and it feels very good.

Things are looking up, and I am starting to feel a little more confidence which is good. As you can probably tell, I am a very impatient person and do not like waiting for things. People kept on telling me "it just takes time!" but I did not like hearing that. They were right :-) I have been working on being more relaxed and patient.

I obviously have a long way to go before I will be happy with the number of students I have, but I figured that this was a pretty big step up, between getting 2 new students this week, and making new contacts who seem very encouraging and genuine --- so I am encouraged.

No comments:

Graduation from Wheaton College

Graduation from Wheaton College

Us at an Ole Miss game

Us at an Ole Miss game

Our Wedding

Our Wedding

Madison's family

My family


Click below to visit my cooking blog:

Liz’s Cooking Blog

Followers