Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Feeling more settled in

When we moved, I got rid of some of my college stuff that is basically trash, but planning for a wedding 2 1/2 weeks after graduation kind of made it difficult to really pack well. So, right now, my house is a little bit of a mess -- but it's a good kind of mess...I am finally going through the boxes and clothes that I don't need anymore. There is a huge pile of goodwill items, and a little pile to bring to a resale shop of nicer clothes that are either out of style or several sizes too small from as early as fresh or soph year of high school...I am learning why I should not hoard things...wow. I have a pair of size 5.5 shoes that I found...Madison was like "what are THESE? they're children's' shoes!" So anyways, next time we move, I hope to have about 2/3 or even 1/2 of what we had when we got here. I bought another little storage thing for my crafts which will help too. When you knit, make jewelry, scrapbook, make stationary, rubber stamp, and paint, it's kind of ridiculous the stuff that you accumulate. It was all piled on top of a card table until I used it for bunco and realized that the table is useless if I have to pile everything on it! I am learning how to organize. Our kitchen needs some organizational help. I have a hard time not having a pantry like my family has always had. The cabinets are small and not very tall and I have a hard time knowing where food should go. I may go to wal mart and see if they have a cheap shelving unit, or wait until we go to my dad's for New Years and make a trip to IKEA. That may be a nice option. Then I could store all the appliances on the shelves and have more room for the food in the cabinets. When we unpacked, we unpacked pretty fast, so I think I pretty much need to pull everything out and redo where things go. (other than the silverware drawer - - that would rock Madison's world if I changed that stuff around haha!) It would absolutely drive me nuts too!
We had a really good day at church. There was a potluck afterwards for newcomers. I'm always a little scared of potlucks but this food was really good. We met a really nice couple (well Madison already knew the husband from law school) and we had a lot of fun talking to them, as well as meeting a few other people. The pastor is really friendly and already knows us by name. We have had fairly long conversations with him every Sunday for the past few. We feel like we're really fitting in there. I wanted to get comfortable with a church before I offered to play for the services, just because I didn't want to say anything before we knew that "this is it". But we definitely feel like this church is the place for us. It was the most friendly church we visited, and I think especially since I have no real good places to meet friends except through the law school, it's important to find a church with lots of fellowship. The church is a great mix of traditional and contemporary as far as music goes. There's always at least 1-2 hymns and then 1-2 RUF'ish praise songs.
It's been a really long time since I have been able to feel like I have had a church to call my church. College Church is where I attended most of college, but it was so large, and even though we were involved in both music and a Sunday school class, I never really felt too connected. I still don't really know anyone older than us, other than the pastor, which I really hope I do.
Well, I better get back to work!
Liz

No comments:

Graduation from Wheaton College

Graduation from Wheaton College

Us at an Ole Miss game

Us at an Ole Miss game

Our Wedding

Our Wedding

Madison's family

My family


Click below to visit my cooking blog:

Liz’s Cooking Blog

Followers