Monday, October 13, 2008

Friday morning, Danica & I went to Germantown in TN. It was really fun. They have a large mall, a Super Target, and lots of good restaurants. I never thought that having a super target within 10 minutes of me in Wheaton/Naperville was a luxury, but I took that for granted!

Germantown is about an hour and 15 minutes away. We don't have a Target here, just a super Wal mart, and it was so nice to spend the morning and afternoon with Danica. I found a few really good deals, and just enjoyed looking at lots of fun stuff. I needed to get a few pairs of work pants, and found some great deals on some at Old Navy. We're really not supposed to wear jeans while teaching...which is a hard transition for someone who previously wore jeans every single day except for church and if something else dressy was going on...haha. Now I don't feel like I am wearing the same outfit every day! I have some nice dressy knee length shorts and such, but now it's cooling off, so I am glad I got some good deals on comfy pants that aren't jeans that I can wear all fall and winter long!

Things have been very up and down lately, but I am feeling more at home as time progresses. I haven't picked up on a southern accent much at all...I wonder if I ever will...Sometimes I apparently slip and say random words sort of southern according to Madison...uh oh!

My 7 year old student named Sadie asked me in front of her dad last week; "Can I ask you a personal question?" (I'm thinking to myself...uh oh what on earth is she going to ask??? she's very blunt)) "You don't sound southern...where are you from?" I laughed and told her. Sadie just moved here a year ago from Connecticut, so she noticed that I didn't sound like everyone else from Oxford. So I guess I am keeping my midwestern accent in tact so far. It's weird being somewhere where I sound "funny/different" to people! Sometimes I will be in wal mart and just think to myself "Where am I???". It's just so funny thinking about it sometimes and how I live 768.04 miles from where I grew up. (yes, I just mapquested it...) There are a fair amount of people from all over the place because of the college and such.

I'm starting to get used to my schedule and not being able to spend much time with Madison. I'm learning how to use my time wisely, but taking more time to do things that I want or need to do. I am enjoying life and Madison treats me very well :-)

Oh, and I got another student today - she's 5 years old and I absolutely cannot wait to meet her!

Time for bed!

2 comments:

Aaron and Kelly said...

Don't worry about your accent...its beautiful and does not need to change!

Katy Robertson said...

hey you! i will be studying most of the night but would love a coffee break if you are up for it. I am thinking about studying at the highpoint coffee shop near walmart. are you busy? I will text you later today.

Graduation from Wheaton College

Graduation from Wheaton College

Us at an Ole Miss game

Us at an Ole Miss game

Our Wedding

Our Wedding

Madison's family

My family


Click below to visit my cooking blog:

Liz’s Cooking Blog

Followers