Monday, December 15, 2008

I got my snow! And it was in the most unlikely location...

I was telling Madison how sad I was that I may not see snow before Christmas - which would be the first time in my life I think that I wouldn't see snow around Christmas. I decided it wasn't going to be a big deal and I was over it, but then while I was in Brookhaven to play for the Climbers Club at the Taylors' house, it snowed! It was so beautiful. Margaret & I had a great time walking around in the snow, building a snowman, and throwing a few snowballs. This is very unusual for that area to get that much snow and for it to stick for as long as it did. I feel completely ready for Christmas now that I have seen snow!
Margaret took some great pictures, here are a few: (I edited the words & such at a fun site called picnik.com that I very much recommend)











Now on to my recipies "of the day" - even though I obviously don't put one up very often!

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix (great for gifts, etc.!) You can put it in a jar or cellophane bag, or just in a ziplock. You can omit the small taste of spice by omitting the cinnamon & chili powder - I have made it both ways & it's yummy either way!



To print this out, just right-click and save, print it on cardstock, and you have
a rec
ipe card! :-)



Mom's Sugar Cookies & Icing

Mix:
3/4 cup shortening/part butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix:
2 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt

Combine and refrigerate for 1 hour. Roll out 1/8". Cut with cookie cutters and place on cookie sheet.

400*F for 6-8 mins.

Icing:

4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup shortening or butter (I used smart balance butter because that's what was in the fridge and it turned out really well)
5 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
food coloring

In a large bowl, cream together the confectioners' sugar and shortening until smooth. Gradually mix in the milk and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes. Color with food coloring if desired.

Well that's it for now!

2 comments:

Bech and Marley Evans said...

liz! thank you sooo much! i have a feeling that is going to save me a LOT of time...plus i am going to try your recipes for christmas, so thanks for that!

Lauren said...

ooh i'm glad you got snow! enjoy the warmth though - i am seriously contemplating moving to hawaii or something, and it's only december :)

the hot chocolate looks YUMMY!

see you SOON!!

Graduation from Wheaton College

Graduation from Wheaton College

Us at an Ole Miss game

Us at an Ole Miss game

Our Wedding

Our Wedding

Madison's family

My family


Click below to visit my cooking blog:

Liz’s Cooking Blog

Followers