Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving & decorating for Christmas!

Thanksgiving went great. Most pictures are on Bekah's camera and she will be sending me a CD in a week or so, so I will put more pictures up then. Our camera was running low on batteries but we got a few pictures in. I have since bought a huge thing of AA batteries from wal mart.

Tuesday night Bekah & Matt came, we hung out & went to sleep. Wednesday, we took them to a wonderful breakfast place in Oxford called Big Bad Breakfast. They liked it. Then we showed them around the square, and the bookstores in the square. Then we dropped Matt & Madison off at the law school to study for the afternoon until dinner. Bekah & I had fun shopping and then preparing for the meal as much as we could ahead of time. Thursday went well. We cooked a turkey, stuffing, gravy, green beans w/ almonds & lemon, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, & rolls. It was somewhat simple, and we had a fun time. I got kind of grossed out by the whole turkey business --- but Bekah was a good sport. :) You would think my sister, who was a vegitarian for almost 4 years would be the one getting grossed out of pulling the stuff out of the turkey! haha.

Dinner went well, Friday we just hung out mostly and watched football & Bekah taught me how to make these cool Moriavian stars. They take a while, but they're very pretty. I made one today for our tree topper. All you need is white posterboard, colored cardstock, a score knife, a ruler, and a mini glue gun. It's actually a nice way to spend my time when everything is done and Madison is studying. Let me know if you want me to photocopy the pattern for any of you. (pictures of the star are below).

Saturday morning, my family was all gone by 6am, so we took off a little later that day for the Taylors for their extended family thanksgiving at 3pm. It was so much fun and the food was really good. We drove back late Sunday afternoon. We were able to help decorate the tree which was really fun!

We got a fake tree - we wanted a real one, but we're both glad we got a fake one especially since this time of year is crazy for Madison and it's just easier to leave up while we're gone for part of the Holidays. Bekah & Matt gave us Christmas decorations for our wedding present, so we have had fun decorating with all the stuff they gave us. As I said above, Bekah taught me how to make a Moravian star. Since tree toppers are way more expensive than I expected, I made a red Moravian star for the top of our tree. It turned out well! In the first few pics, you'll see I was trying out the star that Bekah gave me - it's green and the color looks better hanging from our mantle than from our tree, so I made a bright red one.

The table set for Thanksgiving




Bekah w/ the turkey


All the yummy food



Dad & I

Bekah & I

At the Taylors


Decorating our house for Christmas
Our new fake tree - it was really cheap & not bad looking so I was excited.



Madison being silly with our wreath we found for 6 bucks


In these pictures last night,we had the Moravian star that Bekah made us on the tree. Now we have the bright red one I made on there (the last few pictures show the red one). I left a hole in the bottom where one of the triangles is supposed to go, so that it would fit on the top branch.

tree accessories from Bekah & Matt




Our piano & mantle with decorations from Bekah & Matt

The beautiful stockings my aunt andie knitted us



The moravian star I made today w/ the hole in the bottom for the tree stem



1 comment:

Katy Robertson said...

ok, so in both the picture with madison and the picture with your sister, you are dressed in matching outfits. ha.

Graduation from Wheaton College

Graduation from Wheaton College

Us at an Ole Miss game

Us at an Ole Miss game

Our Wedding

Our Wedding

Madison's family

My family


Click below to visit my cooking blog:

Liz’s Cooking Blog

Followers