Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Homesick

I have had some really tough days lately! I'm really trying to keep my head up and be strong, but I have been having a really hard time. I'm obviously happily married, and thankful for the situation I have, my wonderful husband, family, the house I have, the jobs I'm earning, etc...so with that to say...

I love my 1 friend I have been able to hang out with so far, she has been such a relief for me to have. She has been so sweet to me, and has kept me company and showed me Oxford and for her I am very thankful. In another way, it is so hard after living with or near my best friends for four years and have friends around every summer, and come to a strange place where I feel like I don't really fit in is really difficult. People are different, it's culturally different. I'll get used to it, and it's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. It takes time, but I won't be in school meeting people, so meeting people with similar interests is going to be more difficult but not impossible. I will be happy to meet some wives of law students, but I also want some friends of my own if possible. I realize that this just happens, but as my sister informed me today, the first year out of college is really difficult.

I have been struggling with a lot lately, and I think a lot of it comes from home sickness. As I was explaining to Madison today, it's hard to not have a home to go back to with my mom and my dad together in a place that I've spent time in. My dad is selling the townhouse (which I hated anyways) and he moved to Normal and is renting a house near his girlfriend and is doing consulting. It's really difficult to think the next time I visit my dad, I will be seeing a new place. I have lived a lot of places, but Michigan still seems like the most home place I have, although we no longer have the condo or our house I had from Jr. high on. It's just something I need to come to grips with and realize that I can't change it, but I can try to be positive and happy.

I miss my family & friends a lot, and familiar places. I miss having so much in a close proximity, and I miss being only a few hours from all of my extended family except my dad's parents. I think most people go through this, but I just hate the feeling that at any moment I could burst into tears (and many moments I do). I know I will be fine and get used to it, but it's just a super hard adjustment. I know I'm where I'm supposed to be, and I know if I were in a different place I would be just as sad and confused...I'd appreciate your prayers and thoughts, I am trying to pull out of this but it's only getting worse at the moment! I have faith that it will improve soon.

There are also aspects of Oxford that I already love (like I posted in an earlier post) so I don't hate it or resent moving here, it's just a huge adjustment!

I don't mean to be so emo, but I just needed to be honest with what is really going on - it wouldn't be a true blog otherwise!
Liz

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Liz,
Your sister is right - this first year out of college is the most challenging and I think it is particularly challenging for you given your mom's passing - after all, these are the moments when she would be totally with you - encouraging you, calling on the phone, etc. So it makes sense, but it is also a passage of life and you will come out on the other side of this. Just keep pouring out your concerns to the Lord. You will get through this! You are loved by a whole bunch of people, even though we are not in Oxford.

Graduation from Wheaton College

Graduation from Wheaton College

Us at an Ole Miss game

Us at an Ole Miss game

Our Wedding

Our Wedding

Madison's family

My family


Click below to visit my cooking blog:

Liz’s Cooking Blog

Followers