Thursday, August 21, 2008

Oxford is pretty

Here's some pictures of Oxford and some descriptions of some of my favorite places -- it's a really neat town.

Clay Canvas: I don't have a picture of it, but Clay Canvas has been so much fun! It's on one of the main drags, and I love to paint pottery with friends, although it is usually expensive so I never did it more than once a year. It's so cool because the price on the ceramic here is what you pay, instead of a $5 painting fee or whatever they usually slap on at most places. I painted a welcome sign for $8.00 and they had a bunch of stuff, even mugs, for like $5 and under. It's an inexpensive activity to do with friends and I am very excited about it. Here's a welcome sign I painted (still lacking the leather string I will buy soon)

Here's the welcome sign:


Here's salt & pepper shakers that match some serving bowls I have, that I did in Destin with the Taylors:


So if you ever visit me in Oxford and feel like painting pottery, I love it and could go 3x a week and not get sick of it! :-) Probably not the smartest use of money...so I'm not going to do that :)

We'll start with the center of Oxford, where all the awesome local places are and all the students hang out. The Square is a well known place, filled with boutiques and amazing restaurants and such. I love hanging out down there and browsing in the shops (key on browsing...) :-)
Here's some pictures of the Square from the Oxford website -- not sure why they took it on such a gloomy day, but you get the idea:



One of my favorite places to hang out with Madison (gasp! a bookstore! who would have thought?) Square Books is an awesome bookstore...I can't wait to take my brother-in-law Matt there when they visit. Square Books has $1 ice cream we got once - it's a fun cheap date :) The store has a neat layout, and the building is awesome. Off Square books is also very cool. That has a lot of used books/rare copies/signed copies, cookbooks, gifts. etc. And Barristers Books in the back, where Madison is buying some of his books. The law students apparently run it -- the books are apparently cheaper. So here is a few pictures of Square Books:




The center of the square


Places to go while in Oxford:

City Grocery (Restaurant)

Amazing food, eclectic atmosphere. We loved going here when the Taylors took us - it's definitely a favorite.


Old Venice (Restaurant)

Amazing pizza & pasta place with good lunch deals. We both love pizza, so when we go out on occasion, we frequent Old Venice. I love the brick walls and colorful lamps inside.


Bottletree Bakery (Bakery/Deli)

Oh my goodness, we love going here every Sunday for a special treat. Bottletree is hands down my favorite place in Oxford. Their baked goods are so cheap - we love their 94 cent huge loaf of Sourdough bread. On Sundays, I fluctuate between getting the Honey Cream Cheese danish and the Ham & Cheese Croissant. Both are huge and more than I can eat. Their coffee is really good too. It's a really artsy place, I love it, very unique.

Proud Larry's is also a fun place to go for pasta, really good calzones (sp?), etc.


Handy Andy BBQ is awesome BBQ and banana pudding - it's a really old place!


Of course you have to take a drive out to William Faulkner's house and at least walk around - the grounds are really pretty. For a small fee (I think $5) you can tour the inside of the house.


And campus is also a nice place to take a walk
Most of these pics were taken on our visit early this spring

Here's the law school through the trees: (the ugliest building on campus wouldn't you know - haha)


The Lyceum



Ventress Hall

And last but not least...the Ford Center of Performing Arts, where hopefully I will be spending some time :-)



The Gertrude Castellow Ford center for the performing arts is where the first presidential debate will be held here in Oxford! I am pretty much going to be a hermit and go to the grocery store in advance, because this town is going to be SO insanely full!!! Students have a chance at getting tickets, but I don't know how likely that would be. I'd love to go, but I'm not so sure that is possible.

Well, hope gave you a little glimpse of where I am living :)
Liz

No comments:

Graduation from Wheaton College

Graduation from Wheaton College

Us at an Ole Miss game

Us at an Ole Miss game

Our Wedding

Our Wedding

Madison's family

My family


Click below to visit my cooking blog:

Liz’s Cooking Blog

Followers