Saturday, August 23, 2008

I had a scary audition today

I auditioned for a gig quartet today consisting of Ole Miss professors and one really good student (but sometimes with rotation, it's all profs). There are basically no violists in town, so there are a handful of trios but not really any quartets. The professors were really good and I was quite nervous about playing today - we read through Mozart, Beethoven, Ives, Dohnanyi, and many more. Some of it was really difficult music, and I haven't practiced all that much since I finished at Wheaton. I made it! I think they were somewhat pleased. I am a terrible sight reader, so I had to really concentrate, wear my glasses, and COUNT nonstop. :-) I am SO excited about playing with a group regularly and playing gigs and maybe a recital! I didn't realize how important being in chamber groups and orchestras were until I left Wheaton. The people are really nice.

I guess I haven't written about how I am going to be playing in the Ole Miss orchestra. I will rehearse with them once a week on Wednesdays and play in the concerts. I'm excited about this because I will hopefully make some friends and some connections, as well as keep up my 'chops' and have some very non-competitive playing (compared to playing in the orchestra at Wheaton). I am thankful for the experience I had at Wheaton, it's such an amazing orchestra, but it's time to move on to something a little less stressful. I'm too competitive and that caused for a very stressful few years. I also had some interesting personality conflicts with certain members of my section. We'll just leave it at that! Basically, I'm not in it to be principle this time, so now I can have fun and enjoy the music! :-)

Ole Miss has a music grad school and a few profs who play (including one of the quartet members), so I will fit right in. I'm not the only non undergrad in there. Plus I'm only a year older anyways! First rehearsal is Sunday! Normally its Tues, Wed, and Thurs (and I will only go Wed) but it's the kick-off rehearsal and pizza night. I'm both extremely nervous (because I don't know anyone) and really excited. :-) It'll be nice to know some other music people.

Well, I'm pretty tired...the "audition"/reading was 2 1/2 hours...that's a long time for me to keep my concentration on one thing!

No comments:

Graduation from Wheaton College

Graduation from Wheaton College

Us at an Ole Miss game

Us at an Ole Miss game

Our Wedding

Our Wedding

Madison's family

My family


Click below to visit my cooking blog:

Liz’s Cooking Blog

Followers