Saturday, January 9, 2010

how to cut an onion

I do not know proper names and such as far as the onion goes, but I learned how to cut an onion from my sister who learned it in a cooking class...let me just say that it was life-changing, and if you don't know this already, it will be life-changing for you as well, as long as you use any recipes for cut up onion.

First, peel the onion all the way. Don't cut anything yet. Then:

1. Cut the top off (the top that has the stuff sticking up, not the rough other end)























2. Put the side you just cut, face down. Put a large, sharp knife through that root looking thing (I told you I didn't know anything about onions!)


















3. Place one of the cut halves on the cutting board like this:












4. Do you see all those ridges in the onion? Now you cut along the edges of those. It should stay all in place when you take the knife out...I usually use my big veggie knife with the ridges, but it was used for something else right before this.

















5. After you have cut along the ridges (no need to be that precise really...it doesn't take that long), then you cut it like this:
















And this:
























And voila! You have minced onion!

No comments:

Graduation from Wheaton College

Graduation from Wheaton College

Us at an Ole Miss game

Us at an Ole Miss game

Our Wedding

Our Wedding

Madison's family

My family


Click below to visit my cooking blog:

Liz’s Cooking Blog

Followers